Arthur D. Decker

Architect | 1917-2012

Arthur Decker was born in Mission, Texas and served in the US Army Air Corps between 1943-45. Following WWII he attended USC (1945-’47) and worked for Kistner Wright & Wright in Los Angeles before, in 1962, launching Arthur D. Decker Architect in El Cajon.

Architect Arthur Decker was born in Mission, Texas in 1917 and started his academic career at the Texas College of Arts & Industry (now Texas A&M University–Kingsville) in 1935. After only one year he transferred to the University of Texas where he remained through 1940. In 1939 Decker joined Tau Sigma Delta, & Sphinx a ‘National Honor Society in Architecture and the Allied Arts.’ During World War II, 2nd Lieutenant Decker served in the US Army Air Corps (1943-45). Following his military service Decker attended USC (1945-47).

Following graduation, both Fred Livingstone and Art Decker both worked for Kistner Wright & Wright - one of the largest offices in Los Angeles during the early 1950s. Moving south, Mr. Decker joined the AIA San Diego Chapter in 1956. In 1962, he hung out his own shingle as ‘Arthur D. Decker Architect’ at 2340 Fletcher Parkway in El Cajon.

In addition to his work as an architect Mr. Decker served on the El Cajon Planning Commission (1956-57) and the El Cajon Trailer Park Appeals Board (1960-61). Shortly after designing one of his best homes, he purchased the Si Casady Residence (ca. 1960) from his client and remained there for the rest of his life.

Partial List of Projects

Anza Elementary School (1960)
1005 South Anza Street, El Cajon

Casady Residence, Mt. Helix

Casady, Si Residence (1960)
10010 Shadow Drive

El Cajon City Hall and Council Chambers
200 Civic Center Way

El Cajon Performing Arts Center
210 East Main Street

El Cajon Fire Station Headquarters
100 East Lexington Avenue

El Cajon Regional County Library
201 E Douglas Ave

El Cajon Community Center
195 East Douglas Avenue

Elks Lodge (1960)
1400 E. Washington Avenue, El Cajon

Fire Station (1958)
Third and Peach Streets, El Cajon
*Photographed by Julius Shulman in 1958

La Mesa Public Library Branch (1958)
*Photographed by Julius Shulman in 1958

Our Lady of Grace. Photo by Julius Shulman. © J. Paul Getty Trust, Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)

Our Lady of Grace Church School and Convent (1957-1970)
2766 Navajo Road
*Photographed by Julius Shulman in 195

St. Albans School (1961)
El Cajon

W. D. Hall Elementary School (1959)
1376 Pepper Drive, El Cajon

×